Friday, May 27, 2011

Being Juicy aint' easy!

This morning I had a craving for fresh-squeezed juice after my fiance prepared some cheesy eggs for us. Apparently, there is a shortage of juiceries (not sure if that's accurate) in Long Beach. After finding one on Yelp, I went there only to find that it no longer exists. Disappointed, and on my way home I thought of picking up a Naked juice, but its just not the same as some fresh-squeezed...you know what I mean?

Alas, I was about to come home empty handed, but I had already built this craving up in my head. We bought a juicer, several months ago to incorporate into a healthy diet at home. So...obviously, not being able to have someone make it for me, I refused to settle for nothing and just make it myself. I picked up some fruits at a nearby grocery on the way home. Carrots, ginger, oranges, celery and a couple of limes (ingredients I had seen them use at Whole Foods before).

Got home, and to B's surprise (and disappointment, I might add), I didn't have two tall glasses of fresh-squeezed juice after my 45 minute trip. I pulled out the juicer and started chopping. Now before we bought the juicer, I did quite a bit of research, but unless I was willing to spend around $200 (which I wasn't), all the juicers are pretty much the same. I chose the Black & Decker Juice Extractor at $40. It's actually pretty good, other than the fact it leaks a little bit, but I think they all kind of leak.


I generally chop up the fruits (just the big round ones) and get them ready before my juicing process. Carrots and Celery (long fruits and veggies) go in there smoothly. I got to juicing. 3 oranges, 3 carrots, 1 medium-sized piece of ginger, 1 lime, 2 celery sticks and an apple later....we had a delicious juice for two (and for about $5). I call it "Orange Ginger dynamo".

Why don't I do this more often? Because I hate to wash. But if you get this juicer, it's fairly simple and goes in the dishwasher. There's an area that catches the peels and seeds and stuff that you can dump right onto your plants, compost pile or trash can.

So, yes, I'm very juicy this morning and unless I'm right next to a Whole Foods, I will be making an effort to make my own fresh-squeezed juices from now on.

Try it! Great for summer and great for your soul!
(I wish I had a picture for you, but I drank it all before I realized it)

No comments:

Post a Comment